Monday, November 29, 2010

Quang T - Lookin' For A Conquest (self-released, 2001)


Ten well-produced and arranged compositions that alternate between the quirkiness of Missing Persons (minus the synth action) and the slow-burn of the Alice Cooper Band. "Enquirer" is a temporary respite from the long lines at Gene Walter's Marketplace checkout ("It's not so bad/To worship Jennifer and Brad/And to see how they're clad/Or know which fashions are rad/And she gets a real thrill/As the stories unfurl/It's just her escape/From this miserable world..."). "Natural Selection" begins with some Hawaiian Punch for Captain Caveman ("Cha qui na soonomia soonomia/Com a lot toe na ta ka toe na ta ka"), before pouring modern man a Pepsi product ("If you can't survive the mass migration/You'll be lunch for the crocodiles/The gene pool drained for the generations/Your carcass lays where the vulture smiles"). "Generation X" ain't about Idol comma Billy, but rather, an idol to many ("If you didn't get to know him/While you lived through your teen angst/Let the mystery intrigue you/Find the ghost in lyrics past"). "So Much" deals with a "loving" relationship that's solid only after the sun goes down ("I'm your girl, keep me on the side/Knock on my door in the dark of the night/'Cause I'm that good, just not good for you/You got me, baby -- what can I do?"). In the here and now, all I can see what's in front of me. Lines form on my face and hands. Quang passes Bozzio and Furnier's routine inspection.

No comments:

Post a Comment