Monday, October 25, 2010

Big Bobby And The Nightcaps/The Halfways @ Cogan's Instant Art, Norfolk, VA (4/17/97)


I only had $10.00 in my pocket on this Friday evening, but that was a minor inconvenience. To borrow a phrase from The Humpers' manager, these two bands are "Rock And Fucking Roll." I arrived too early, thus quick consumption of Budweisers was in order. The gentleman next to me took it at face value when I told him that John Denver had moved to Sydney, because the tap water in that city had been replaced by Coors Light. He said, "I'm moving there tomorrow." If you decide to go, mister, I'd advise you to leave before the 2000 Olympic Games come there. Best of luck! Talked with a nice lady behind the bar named Heather (see what a free drink will get ya!) about bands from Boston. Although we didn't mention the band Boston, I'd take them over Slapshot any day.

About 11:30 or so, The Halfways cranked out roughly ten tunes, sounding like equal parts Stooges, Heartbreakers and early Black Flag. As had been the case at their similarly good Route 44 show, the band closed with powerful takes of The Stooges' "1970" and Radio Birdman's "New Race." Yeh-hup, indeed! The Halfways don't have any vinyl on the shelves right now, but keep an eye out for their upcoming 4-song single. Commenting on the track "Friar Tucks," drummer Nyal told me, "Yeah, it's about Robin Hood." Next time The Halfways play here, I'll bring the peanut butter.

Big Bobby And The Nightcaps, whom I've seen more times than Lawrence Taylor has smoked crack, took the floor and opened with "I Can't Believe You" -- a number the M-80's had played live. If you don't know the link between The Nightcaps and the M-80's, go take a history course at Tidewater Community College, because I don't have time to explain. Other songs included "I Close My Mind," a cut from their soon-to-be released 7-inch (forgot the title -- something about a bloodhound), and The Real Kids' "Do The Boob." Why not "Foreplay/Long Time?" Shortly after Bobby's reading of a note detailing an outstanding $17.50 bar tab, the 'Caps ended their set with JT and the Heartbreakers' "Chinese Rocks."

If you would rather hear the 'Caps guitarist Sambone say, "I stole this riff from Chuck Berry" than some ecstasy-induced technohead announce, "I lifted this sample from KMFDM," go check out The Halfways and The Nightcaps to see and hear what REAL rock 'n' roll is all about.

1 comment:

  1. John Denver and Lawrence Taylor would've been a weird episode of "Iconoclasts."

    ReplyDelete