Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tears On Sunday - Seduction (self-released, 2002)


When Columbus Movies in Vaaa Beeech played pre-film music from artists like Bryan Ferry, Matthew Sweet among others during their early-90's "Dollar Days," the feature presentation often would be a huge letdown compared to the piped-in programming of an imaginary DJ who had been spared the noose. "Dum And Dummer" vs. "Divine Intervention"? You get the picture. "Cinema Song," a "psychosexual paranoid fantasy in A minor," says one who knows that his first name is, like a Baldwin brother, Stephen, crunches popcorn with the hallucinogenic emptiness of Galaxie 500 standing in the ticket line and eating their Twinkies ("Don't wanna be your boyfriend/Just wanna give you head/Don't wanna take my medicine/Just wanna die in bed"). "I Hope You Stay" keeps me in my seat to witness the drama of a lost Stone Roses video trailer ("How can I change the fate that binds me to this place/Illusions fail reality/Kicks me in my face"). "Tokyo" horrifically finds Godzilla attacking a broken heart with "no subtitles beneath (his) tears." "What Luna Sees" fringes amongst bird noises and bar flies ("Hey, you're pretty cute" is overheard in the darkened theater). Extra footage: In 1991, Luna performed at the Boathouse in Nawfuck with The Sundays. I was there. What Luna sees, she tells me. I saw Luna, and I'm telling you. What Luna sees. What lunacies.

1 comment: