Monday, April 19, 2010

ECONOMIC FRANKENSTEIN


Checking on eBay for prices on Husker rarities and the like, I noticed that someone had paid $735 for the Necros' "Sex Drive" EP. Of course, it's an original, mint-condition pressing from Touch And Go. But would the guy have any less of a connection to the band, had he opted for a later pressing/bootleg?

Responding to my message-board posted interrogative was Matt Puke: "Agreed. The only record worth spending that much on is something you can sell for more later. With Napster, bootlegs, and re-issues, there's very little music that isn't available at a cheaper price. I'd have trouble paying over $10 for a re-issue or bootleg of any Necros recording. Is that EP a 12"? If so, I think I saw it in Indianapolis about five years ago for around $50. I guess I should have bought it and sold it to this geek!"

Doing some quick mental math, the total per song that "geek" paid was $183.75. "A handful of nickels used to keep the jukebox goin' all night long." (Toby Keith, 10-10-220) Back to the classroom, to hear those four Necros songs at a dive near you would loosen your pockets by 14,700 nickels.

"I'd hate to be that guy." (Terry Bradshaw, 10-10-220)

No comments:

Post a Comment